Wednesday, July 1, 2009

People Walking

Tree lined streets. People walking. Today I walked across the street to the library to pick up a movie and a few cds. It was nearly 90 today, but the heat wasn't oppressive. It was around 2pm. As I was crossing the street to come back home I was struck by how many other people were on the sidewalk in my block alone. There were 7 of us. I smiled and thought to myself "I love this town." I love that I live in a walkable neighborhood with people who enjoy walking! What's a walkable neighborhood? It means you have businesses, schools, parks and a library within walking distance of your home. Check out the walk score of your neighborhood here: http://www.walkscore.com/ My neighborhood, Sabin, gets a walkscore of 71 out of 100. I'm happy with that. We have a very walkable neighborhood, but it remains quaint and not too busy. Because, unfortunately, if there are many places to walk to then that means there are many places that people drive to as well. Making it a high traffic area. Don't get me wrong, we have our fair share of cars in my neighborhood (especially police cars going 70mph and literally catching air over the speed bumps!) My friend, Donna, who lives in the sought after Sunnyside neighborhood located in SE between Belmont and Hawethorne gets a walkscore of 97 out of 100! Awesome. I heart Portland!

No comments:

Post a Comment